Sunday, January 22, 2012

So much to catch up on...

The only excuse I have for not posting for omgosh the past...5 MONTHS (!)...well, I have none!  I enjoyed my last few months of mat leave with Elliott, his/my friends, busy trying to get my head wrapped around returning to work...and voila! here we are. I have missed you all dearly, my friends.

We have had a lot of milestones since I last posted.  Elliott started bursting teeth out of nowhere and it really took us a step back when it came to sleeping through the night and with eating. He also graduated from cruising to walking around furniture and then finally a few weeks ago, he let go and started walking a dozen steps at a time on his own.

October was a busy month as I turned into a 'Party' just kidding I was not ridiculous but in my work life, I work with large scale corporate events and this, oh my, it was one of those projects that I am so proud of - blood, sweat and tears.  I know Elliott will not remember his 1st birthday but it is something I will never forget ;)

We had a Monster Fun Birthday bash...I made turkey chili (with a chili bar chock full o'fixings), slow cooker pull pork mini sammies, and my mom carved out a watermelon monster and jello layered in the colour scheme of the party.  I made monsters out of dollar store car wash mitts, and risers I made from diaper boxes. We had a candy bar as favours for the adults, and pails with colouring books, Mum M.ums and baby glasses.  There was a play area we set up for the kiddies, and games for the adults ;)

My first day back to work was Dec 1. I cried myself to sleep the night before, after telling my husband that I feel like the "worst mom ever" because I truly felt like I was abandoning my baby.  And that he would have no clue why I was "gone". And that he would forget me in an instant. Tears also flowed the morning I grabbed my new laptop wheely bag and my coat. My husband stayed home the 1st and 2nd to help me ease into it, but I was just miserable.  I called him after his naptime, and at lunch, and on my afternoon break.  I just couldn't comprehend that I would no longer be there at his every move, awake or asleep, and reality sunk in that I no longer will have that precious time back, and my baby will no longer need me as much.

After a month and a half of being back to work full time, I am happy to report that we have fallen into a good rhthym, and I no longer cry leaving him with my mom.  The first two weeks we were both adjusting to this new schedule, and Elliott would cry every time I say good bye after dropping him off at my mom's.  Then, it got easier, until the point where he waves good bye to me and proceeds to look for his toys at grandma's.  I have watched him mature and grow before my eyes, and as much as my heart hurts to leave him behind when I go to work, I know that it is time for both of us to have some time / experiences a part. 

I'll be posting more soon, as some recent developments in my health need to be addressed.  Will explain more in detail in another post.


  1. Glad to see you back, Wendy! What a fantastic party you threw for your little monster :) Absolutely adorable!

  2. Welcome back! I abandoned my blog for a while too. It's hard to find the time most days! Glad to hear your transition back went smoothly. I can't believe a year has passed already. I only have two months till I go back...eeeek!

    Looks like an awesome party, so creative! I may call on you for ideas for N's bday!

  3. I'm glad to hear from you! The party looks like it was awesome and E is really growing up!

  4. Wow! You know how to throw a party Mama!!! It is so good to hear from you. I can't believe how fast the time goes by. Elliott just gets cuter & cuter.

    Can't imagine how hard going back to work must've been.

  5. Hi! Please email me, I have a question for you! :)

    HeatherVonsj (at) gmail (dot) com